Here is a piece I took from my sister’s estate. It was an old dirty brown wooded desk, but it really was beautiful. The hardware was all tarnished, so I removed the hardware, and painted the piece with Annie Sloan Old Violet chalk paint. I used two coats and used Annie Sloan Gilding Was in Warm Gold to highlight the edges.
I washed the hardware, then used Brasso metal polish to bring out the old world charm on the hardware. I am sorry I forgot to take a before picture, it was dark brown stained wood.
- I took out the drawers and removed all hardware.
- I painted it with Annie Sloan “Old Violet” 2 coats
- While it was drying I used some Brasso on the brass handles, still wanted them to look old, so I did one pass with it and took off the heavy tarnish but left some on.
- I used clear wax – Maison Blanche antique clear wax, let it dry, then buffed it with a soft cloth.
- I used Annie Sloan Gilding Wax in Warm Gold on the edges etc. I used my finger to apply.
- A light buff again to just bring the color to peak. Buffing makes the piece shiner so you can buff it as many times to get the piece to look like you want it.
Tell us in the comments below.